Friday, June 11, 2010

West Cornwall & Bulls Bridge, Connecticut, August

This post card show the section between Bull's Bridge, CT
and the beginning of NY state.
When I arrived in Connecticut I climbed Bear Mountain (2,316').  It is the highest peak in Connecticut.  There were kettles of Broad-wing Hawks migrating overhead and the many passerines flitting about in the brush along the trail.  I saw Chestnut-side Warblers, Black-throated Blue Warblers, Yellow-rump Warblers, and many Eastern Towhee.   I hiked past several groups of college students, who were part of freshman orientation.  I ended up camping at the Sherman Brook Primitive Campsite with a group of male and female students from Connecticut College.  They were really noisy and having a great deal of fun together.  The students  were doing some team building games with one of their guides.  They made themselves into a circle of "trees" around one student in the center.  The student in the center turned around trying to cut the trees.  Who was out and who was in was determined by the response made by the outside group to the inside student.  If you know this game please comment on the rules.  I'd like to learn it.  There was a young woman watching.  She didn't want to participate and everyone was fine with that.  I thought she reminded me of  myself::  Content to be Observing.

The southbound Appalachian Trail follows the Housatonic River at times, starting in Massachusettss but in Connecticut there are many miles where the trail runs parallel or crosses the river.  The Housatonic is a lovely river and in places very fast. It can be shallow, wide and full of sandbars where Great Blue Herons wade.  At other places the river drops and falls over land.  There are power plants are set up to tap energy for nearby communities. Near the power company hikers crosss the Housatonic on a beautifuly crafted iron bridge,  built in 1903 by the Berlin Construction Company. At the power company there were showers and picnic tables available for free!  I didn't take the time to stop thinking I would prefer to take a swim.
Connecticut has two covered bridges,not too far from the trail,  that span the Housatonic River.  I planned to hitch a ride to see them.  The first bridge was in West Cornwall, Connecticut and when I came to Conn. 4 I hitched a ride east.  A guy in a pick up truck took me most of the way but he had to let me off about a mile east of my destination. There were so few cars I thought my chance of getting another ride slim, so I decided to walk.  In a short whilea small car with a NY license plate, sped by and from its window I heard someone shout, "B...I...R...D...Y......"  The car pulled over and inside was CLAUDIA,another thru-hiker, whom I hadn't seen since Andover, Maine.  Claudia was now called, "Stretch." She was given that trail name because she stretched each morning before hiking. 

It turned out that Claudia had reached Conn. 4 just after me & easily hitched a ride. The car she was riding in had picked her up at the same spot shortly after I had been picked up. She must of been about 10 minutes behind me on the trail! The driver was a New Yorker who offered to take her in to West Cornwall and out for breakfast.  I learned her name was Debbie and she said that I was invited too!  We sped away toward town. 

The restaurant was located near the covered bridge and the beautiful wooden structure was in view from the window of  our breakfast table.  Debbie was in Connecticut to attend  Orten-Gillingham Training Session.  You language teachers will know what an excellent program it is.  The conference was done and Debbiewas on her way to pick up her dog from the kennel when she saw Stretch thumbing.  Claudia (stretch) reminded Debbie of her daughter and that tugged at her.  This was her first time picking up hitchhikers or hikers for that matter.  Debbie announced that she was taking us both out for breakfast.

Stretch, Debbie and I had much in common.  Stretch recently graduated college and had done research in Madagascar.  Debbie had been teaching children to read in Rwanda and was getting training for an upcoming trip to China. It was fascinating listening to their conversation.  I felt I had met my soul-sisters.  Between us all we ordered strawberry & blueberry pancakes, omelet, eggs, toast and coffee. Lots and lots of hot coffee.  We lingered enjoying ourselves.  Debbie paid our bill.  We thanked her and hugged one another.  Debbie set off to pick up her dog and to New York City.  Stretch and I set off to see the farmers market. 

I left Stretch at a knife sellers table.  She had lost her knife and the craftsman was giving her his knife.  He was sharpening it for her too.  This is typical of folks hikers meet along the trail.  Gracious and generous like Debbie, and the knife craftsman.  That was the last time I saw Stretch but I would see Debbie again in the most AMAZING way.  Read more......here 

I headed to the bridge and toward the Appalachian Trail.  I stopped at the bridge admiring the wooded cross beams, little windows, and painted exterior. The Housatonic River flows under the West Cornwall Bridge and Bulls Bridge. The Bulls Bridge is famously know as the crossing where George Washington fell from his horse into the Housatonic River.  His small army made the river crossing,  back and forth, many times and one day he fell. It is shocking because George Washington was an excellent horseman.  The Bulls Bridge is lovely and a popular tourist destination. At the Bulls Bridge there are picnic spots and bathing amaong the rocks in the freezing cold water found in the deeper holes of the Housatonic.  A little girl and I watched crayfish crawl about the stream bed.  She was curious about the big pincher's...scared and thrilled all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment