Sunday, May 30, 2010

Erwin, Tennessee (11-5-10)


Hello Everyone;

Snow.  Yesterday.  Snow.  Today.  Snow.   Tomorrow.  Predicted anyway.  I camped on top of Roan Mountain.  It rained all night and turned to snow by the morning.  That meant my tent was wet.  But it was beautiful.  I was thinking that mom saw crossbills up there and looked up to see if there were any cones available.  NOne.  I don't think they'll have any crossbills this year. 

With my tent all wet I had to stop early at the shelters.  That was only a 16 mile day then.  But the shelter was full.  Lucky, Charm, Picker, Grinner, Scout, Boo and Me.  Cozy?  Cold!  It was snowing all morning.  But hiking warmed me up. Climbed Unaka Mt.  It was lovely with the snow shining against the leaves and in the Red Pines.  I Climbed over Beauty Spot.  Again, snow covered the meadow, grasses and trail.  Sometimes the trail was hard to see for the snow cover.  Eventually, the sun came out and warmed everything up.  It got a little birdy.  Grinner flushed an American Woodcock!  A state bird.  I really didn't know if it was for Tennessee or North Carolina because the trail goes back and forth between states.
Uncle Johnny's Hostel-Image found at:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/2/4/4/0525b_uncle_johnny_s_hostel02.jpg

I am in Erwin, Tennessee at Uncle Johnny's Hostel. 
There are many SOBOs here resting
and taking a break from the cold weather.

More Later,
Birdy/Mom 


No comments:

Post a Comment