Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Love Tail: Appalachian Trail Volunteers

One of the coolest things I learned on my hike was how amazing the volunteer network is along the trail from Maine to Georgia. There are people who hold the Appalachian Trail near and dear to their heart, some of whom devote financial resources and precious time to care for the trail. These people, along with hikers, and Appalachian Trail staff have an amazing energy and create such good will, that the trail atmosphere permeates with love.  Not unlike a family or community.  I began to refer to the AT as the, "LOVE TRAIL."

My first encounter with a trail volunteer occurred in the 100 mile Wilderness Section.  It was a bad day for Black Flies and although the weather was hot, I was forced to wear a bug hat to keep the flies out of my eyes.  As I was was nearing the shoreline of  Jo-Mary Lake  a man came bounding up the trail.  He was shouting and muttering under his breath.  I asked him if he was okay and he swore that he was going to take my bug hat away.  I thought the flies had driven him mad!

I made my way to the Antlers Campsite.  The  Antlers Campsite is a beautiful campground along Jo-Mary Lake.  The sites are spread out and the ground soft because of the pine tree forest.  The privy was a two seater and brand new.  No smell what so ever.   I found a tent site and pitched my tent in a spot that overlooked the lake.  I hung my food and settled in for the night.  There was a campsite next to mine, and it wasn't long before the camper returned.  It was the man I had met earlier that afternoon on the trail!

He apologized and mentioned that his agony was due to the fact that his wife wanted a divorce.  He loved her.  Together they had maintained the boundary for that section of the trail.  He couldn't imagine life without her.  I listened to his story.  I also learned that their volunteer job was to bushwhack the boundary of the trail and look for any potential problems that needed attention.   The reason the job of the boundary walker is so important is that the edges of the trail corridor come in contact with public and private land.  Keeping the trail and boundary well maintained shows integrity and creates good will along the "trail"  neighborhood.   Boundary Walkers check the edge of the corridor and write reports that are sent to the regional trail office.  Any encroachment onto the AT corridor is reported.  The edges are inspected for invasive species, fallen debris or any other unusual change.

The Appalachian Trail runs through a wilderness corridor.  Sometimes the corridor is wide, and passes through national park land or preserves.  Sometimes the corridor is narrow, barely extending the width of the trail itself.  This most often happens when the trail passes between private land holdings or along an easement. 

Later on my hike, when I arrived in Boiling Springs at the ATC Mid-Atlantic Regional Office, I met Allyson who was loading up her car with brush cutters and saws. She is a paid staff member who took volunteer crews into the backcountry to clear brush from the boundary line.  She explained that the goal was not to create a path but rather a sight line, along the boundary.  I met Allyson again at Harper's Ferry at the Conservancy.  I love your work Allyson!

 I met a retired man outside of Norwich, Vt.  He was carrying a can of white paint and a stencil.  Spending the day making sure his section was blazed properly.  Thank you!  Later, in Tennessee, I met Bob People's, Mountain Squid and Speaker, among others maintaining a section of the trail.  Bob invited me to paint a White Blaze and Mt. Squid took this picture. 


I met a crew of trail volunteers in Connecticut.  They had spent several weekends moving boulders in the stream to make a ford into a rock hop.  The boulders were huge and they were using a wench and iron poles to inch each boulder into place, one at a time.

I ran into a husband-wife duo in the Smoky Mountains.  They were loaded down with heavy equipment: shovel, ax, brush cutter & band saw, to work on their section.  They were coming in after a storm, and there was plenty of fallen debris for them to clear.  This was their weekend passion.  Hard labor, and the outdoors!  Thank you!

In New York I met a volunteer who maintains the Wiley Shelter.  He was on his way out with a huge bag of garbage.  He volunteered to keep the shelter clean and in good repair.  He toted in jugs of water for hikers during drought.  Water was scarce and much appreciated.  Gratitude!

Also, in New York several hiking clubs left water for hikers at road crossings.  One group, the Tuxedo Club, left several gallons of fresh water.  I was very lucky to get water at that section.  Very lucky!

In North Carolina I met a couple who resided and  maintained a section of the trail near Hot Springs.  They offer the most amazing trail magic out of their home.  Throughout the season they invite hikers from the trail to come for a sit down warm meal.  They served me hot from the iron, Waffles with butter and syrup.  There was hot coffee, pork stew, and for dessert; a Banana Split with whipped cream and a cherry on top!  Such kindness  shown to a tired and weary hiker.  This couple also clears debris, paints the white blazes and maintains a section of the AT for the North Carolina Mountain Club.

The trail family includes many people who perform random acts of kindness for hikers.  There are the folks who pick up hikers as they hitch to town or from town to trail.  There are folks who invite hikers into their home for a meal, shower and comfortable bed.  People leave fresh food, water and supplies along the trail or in a shelter.  Once Lucky, Charm and I were grocery shopping in town and a woman offered to shuttle us back to the trail whenever we were finished with our resupply.  I was graciously invited home in Vermont, and twice in Pennsylvania.  Once I was invited across Pierce Pond, for a relaxing evening with a very wonderful family.  We sat in the sun on their dock watching the children practice water skiing.  I was served an amazing dinner of pasta, bread, salad, and wine.  They picked me up from Pierce Pond Campsite in the afternoon and took me back at dusk in a boat!

I FEEL SUCH GRATITUDE AND LOVE FOR MY AT TRAIL FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment